How to Get a Medical Cannabis Card in Colorado
A common question we hear at Infinite Wellness Center is, “If recreational marijuana is legal in Colorado, why should I get a medical marijuana card?” There are still plenty of advantages to having a medical cannabis card in Colorado:
- Avoid paying the recreational cannabis sales tax (15%);
- Avoid increased prices due to adult use excise tax (15%);
- Shorter lines at most dispensaries;
- You’ll have a greater variety of products to choose from;
- Products available to medical patients can be more potent and specialized for specific symptoms;
- You can purchase two ounces or more at once instead of one;
- You can have a caretaker pick your cannabis products up for you.
Medical Marijuana Card Requirements in Colorado
According to the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment, you must be a legal Colorado resident with a photo ID and valid social security number to apply for a medical cannabis card. Additionally, you must have one of the following medical conditions to qualify for a card:
- Severe pain
- Persistent muscle spasms
- Severe nausea
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
What You’ll Need To Apply
Before you can apply to get your MMJ card in Colorado, keep in mind that you will need the following items:
- A completed physician certification form from your physician (if you are applying online, your physician must submit it here);
- A complete application form (not necessary if applying online);
- A Colorado drivers license or photo ID (or a proof of identity and residency waiver);
- A completed caregiver agreement, if needed;
- A $15 money order or a check made out to CDPHE (or a fee waiver form).
Quick Tip: If you don’t have a physician who can help you get a certification, our team highly suggests going to C.A.R.E.S. in Fort Collins on Oak Street. Ask our front desk for a referral to save money on your visit!
How To Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Colorado
We highly recommend applying online when you are ready to request your medical marijuana card. This option guarantees a decision within 35 days (if all information is provided and correct) and allows you to print your card or display your card on a mobile device in as little as 24 hours. Your physician must also submit his/her certification form to the same site.
We strongly discourage patients from doing this, but you can also submit your application by certified mail. This option requires paper copies of all documents and takes six to eight weeks to process (though it has taken some patients up to 120 days to receive a card). Send your application and a $15 check made out to CDPHE to:
4300 Cherry Creek Dr. S.
Denver, CO 80246-1530
If you’re in the Denver area, you can also turn your application in physically at Colorado Department of Public Health. Put all forms and payment in sealed envelope and drop off at drop box at southeast corner of:
710 S. Ash Street
Denver, CO 80246-1530
What To Do After You Apply
Once you’ve completed all of the necessary steps, wait until your physical card comes in the mail or, if applying online, you’ll receive an email notification to print your card or display it on your cell phone.
Then, visit Infinite Wellness Center’s Fort Collins dispensary to get the best deals in Colorado. On your first visit, we’ll need to print a copy of your card, so either bring one with you or be able to email a copy to email@example.com.
Our team will provide you with an insightful introduction to the world of medical marijuana and help you pic